The Boise State Student Union serves as the center for campus life providing educational, cultural, social, recreational and leadership programs and services that are integral to the academic experience.
- Serves as the central gathering place for members of the University community.
- Encourages civic responsibility and participation in service.
- Provides programs and services that expand competencies, enhance understanding and promote personal growth.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the visual and performing arts, cultural diversity and intellectual development.
- Provides a forum for unifying a diverse campus community.
- Exemplifies a customer orientation and provides convenient, useful services in a clean and friendly environment.
- Provides meeting and event space for student organizations and the campus community.
- Provides an environment that is conducive to innovation, learning, empowerment and creative thought.
- Serves as a point of outreach to the greater community.
SUB Board of Governors
SECTION I – NAME
- The name of this organization shall be the Student Union Board of Governors of Boise State University.
SECTION II – PHILOSOPHY
- The Student Union is an integral and vital part of educational life of the University, sharing goals of academic and personal development.
- The Student Union serves as a center and forum for the academic community–students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests. As a facility, it provides services, conveniences, and amenities needed to enhance the daily life of the University.
- The Student Union is an organization designed to encourage students and other members of the University community to meet and share talents, interests, and ideas in an action-learning setting.
- Through cooperative governance between boards, committees, and staff and through the provision of cultural, social, and recreational programs, there is the opportunity for ripening of intellectual, creative, and communicative capacities.
- In all its processes, through the management of its physical and human resources, the Union encourages interaction of diverse people, ideas, and values.
- The Union’s continuing goal is to create an atmosphere that encourages the individual’s self-development while supporting an atmosphere conducive to Boise State University’s Statement of Shared Values: academic excellence, respect, fairness, caring, responsibility, citizenship, trustworthiness and community involvement.
SECTION III – PURPOSE
- The Student Union Board of Governors shall act as the primary advisory body to the Executive Director for Campus Services and the Director of the Student Union on matters of policy, budgeting and usage.
SECTION IV – MEMBERSHIP
- The Student Union Board of Governors shall be composed of eight (8) student members, one (1) faculty member, five (5) administrative members, and one (1) community member.
- At least 51 percent of voting members on the Student Union Board of Governors shall be students. The student members shall be:
- The ASBSU President or Vice President.
- A member of the ASBSU Senate.
- Students-at-Large (4) appointed by the ASBSU President in accordance with established procedures from a variety of student organizations.
- If a Student-at-Large position remains unfilled after two meetings, the Chair and/or Board shall have the authority to appoint a student to fill the vacant position(s).
- 1 graduate student.
- 1 student representative from the Residence Hall Association.
- Faculty members shall be appointed by the Faculty Senate.
- Administrators shall be members of the Student Union Board of Governors by virtue of their offices. Administrators shall not be eligible for the offices of Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson. The following administrators shall be members:
- Vice President for Student Affairs or designee.
- Director of Alumni Association or designee.
- Professional staff representative.
- Bookstore Director or designee.
- Food Service General Manager.
- Member of the community appointed by the Director of the Student Union.
- Executive Director, Campus Services.
- Director of Student Union.
- Associate Director, Student Union.
- Business Manager, Student Union.
- Student Activities Director or designee.
Ex-officio (non-voting) Members
- Members of the Student Union Board of Governors shall be appointed as soon as possible at the beginning of the academic year.
- The Student Union Board of Governors’ members shall serve for approximately one year or until the appointment of a successor. Board members may serve for more than one year.
SECTION V – ORGANIZATION OF THE BOARD
- The Student Union Board of Governors’ Chairperson shall be elected by the voting members from within its own membership at the first meeting of the academic year. Only students are eligible for election to the offices of Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson. The Chairperson shall hold office for one year from the time of election (or until a new Chairperson is elected). The Vice-Chairperson shall be elected at the same meeting in which the Chairperson is elected and shall hold office for one year (or until a new Vice-Chairperson is elected).
- The Director of the Student Union shall be the Executive Secretary and shall assist the Chairperson in preparation of the agenda for each meeting and be responsible for the keeping of all minutes and records of Board actions.
SECTION VI – DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Student Union Board of Governors shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Executive Director, Campus Services and the Director of the Student Union of Boise State University. Policies which represent the views of students, faculty, staff, and alumni shall be determined by the Student Union Board of Governors and recommended to the Executive Director of Campus Services and the Director of the Student Union. Such policies will be recommended in accordance with applicable regulations established by the State of Idaho, the State Board of Education, and the President of Boise State University. The Student Union Board of Governors shall recommend policy regarding building use and general programs and shall assist with the formulation of food service policies. Policies recommended are subject to approval by the Executive Director of Campus Services and the Director of the Student Union. The Student Union Board of Governors shall also promote and authorize other uses of the building that it deems to be appropriate.
- The Student Union Board of Governors shall exercise fiscal responsibility in the following areas.
- Review charges for the use of Student Union facilities including the leasing of space for service functions and Event Services functions.
- Review proposals for Union fee increases and when appropriate, recommend action by the Executive Director of Campus Services, Director of the Student Union, Vice-President of Student Affairs or the University President.
- Review reports on the distribution of all funds accruing to the Student Union fees, rentals, concessions, revenue producing facilities, etc., in accordance with applicable policy established by the State of Idaho, the State Board of Education, and the President of Boise State University.
SECTION VIII – MEETINGS
- The Student Union Board of Governors shall hold at least two (2) meetings each school year. Meetings may be called by the Chairperson or by a joint request of any three members of the Board to the Executive Secretary.
- Special meetings may be held during the summer periods or holidays when urgent business needs to be transacted.
SECTION IX – EFFECTIVE DATE</h4h3
This Charter shall become effective upon formal approval by the Student Union Board of Governors.
Adopted by the ASBSC Senate on February 2, 1971.
Signed by Leland Mercy, Jr., and Chairman ASBSC Senate on February 2, 1971.
Signed by Wayne Mittleider, ASBSC President on February 2, 1971.
Adopted by the Faculty Senate on February 4, 1971.
Signed by Frank W. Stark, Chairman, Faculty Senate on February 4, 1971.
Adopted by the Alumni Board of Directors at its meeting on February 8, 1971.
Adopted by the Executive Council on February 23, 1971. Signed by Dr. John B. Barnes, President, Boise State College on February 23, 1971.
Revised on October 19, 1972 by the Student Union Board of Governors.
Revised on April 24, 1975 by the Student Union Board of Governors.
Revised on February 5, 1987 by the Student Union Board of Governors.
Revised on March 2, 1994 by the Student Union Board of Governors.
Revised on October 17, 1994 by the Student Union Board of Governors.
Revised on April 30, 2001, by the Student Union Board of Governors.
Revised on April 15, 2002, by the Student Union Board of Governors.
Revised on January 27, 2003, by the Student Union Board of Governors.
Revised on November 10, 2008, by the Student Union Board of Governors.
RULES OF PROCEDURE
Rule I – Board Chairperson
- The Chairperson shall take the chair at the hour at which the Board convenes, immediately call the Board to order and cause the roll to be called.
- The Chairperson shall be responsible for reading and obtaining Board approval of the minutes of the past meeting.
- The Chairperson shall conduct and declare all votes. If any Board member doubts the vote, he/she may request a roll call vote.
- The Chairperson shall be responsible for providing direct communication between the Board and the Executive Director of Campus Services and the Director of the Student Union.
Rule II – Executive Secretary
- The Director of the Student Union shall be the Executive Secretary of the Board.
- At a reasonable time before each meeting, the Executive Secretary shall discuss and develop the agenda with the Chairperson and/or Vice Chairperson.
- The Executive Secretary shall be responsible to cause the preparation of copies of the agenda and all pertinent material for delivery to the Board members at a reasonable time before a Board meeting.
- The Executive Secretary shall be responsible for the preparation and distribution of the minutes to the Board.
- The Executive Secretary shall cause the record of each meeting’s proceedings to be entered in the minutes.
- Every motion made and entertained by the Chairperson shall be entered in the minutes with the last name of the Board member making the motion. The last name of the Board member seconding the motion shall also be recorded.
- The Executive Secretary shall cause the hour of commencement and adjournment to be entered in the minutes of each meeting of the Board.
- The Executive Secretary shall be responsible for the preparation of all official actions of the Board in their proper form after the Board has taken action and communicate these actions to appropriate parties.
Rule III – Board Meetings
- A Board action is not valid unless a quorum is present. A quorum shall be determined of seven (7) members, four (4) of which must be students.
- The Board shall keep minutes of its meetings.
- All meetings of the Board shall be open to the academic community; however, if the Board so desires, it may go into executive session to discuss personnel matters. No motions may be made, nor votes taken in executive session.
- Members of the gallery desiring to present an oral expression shall be required to submit a written statement of their name and the topic they wish to talk about to the Chairperson before they may be recognized by the Chairperson.
- Petitions, requests or correspondence requiring Board Action shall be appropriately considered by the Board in an order determined by the Chairperson.
- All written correspondence to the Board shall be communicated by the Chairperson of the Board at its next meeting.
Rule IV – Order of Business
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
- Reading, discussion and approval of minutes of previous meeting
- Approval of the Agenda
- Executive Secretary
- University Event Services
- Student Union Business Manager
- Old Business
- New Business